For some reasons we love eating at restaurants but for some reasons we also feel „uuuugh“ afterwards. Sometimes we get bloated, we overeat, we feel unhealthy or we feel like this meal wasn’t worth it.
Generally I would say that cooking yourself is always the best choice. But eating at restaurants with friends is awesome & something you shouldn’t feel bad about afterwards! I eat out about 2-3 times a week - which works fine for me. Because it's all about choosing wisely!
Today I will tell you what my "Go-To Meals" are & share some awesome tips that you can keep in mind if you are at restaurant ♡
But first - here are you 2 options:
1. Eating out = Cheat Meal: This is a pretty easy way if you don’t eat out more than 1x a week. You can just order whatever you like to and eat as unhealthy as you wish - 'cause it’s a cheat meal!! Order pizza, pasta & burgers and enjoy!
2. Make a Healthy Choice: That's what I'm going to talk about today. And trust me, you can ALWAYS make healthy choice in a restaurant. Eating out should not always be an „excuse“ to eat unhealthy.
So what healthy meals can you order? Here are a couple of my favorites:
My Favorite is Salad ♡ Mixed Salad, Greek Salad, Salad Caprese, Veggie Salad, ...
Other options: Tomato Soup, Bruschetta, Chicken Sticks (Grilled, not fried), Bresaola, Veggie Soup
My Favorite is Beef Filet ♡ with a couple of sides like Potatoes, Veggies or a Small Salad
Other options: Salads with Toppings (e.g. Chicken, Mozzarella, Feta, Beef, Prawns, etc.), Risotto or Fried Rice with veggies and chicken (if you eat Chinese), Fish with Veggies (e.g. Salmon Filet) or Sushi
Fresh Fruit Salad, Fruit Sorbet or Yogurt with Fruits & Granola
But often restaurants don’t offer healthy desserts.. in this case the best option is:
Espresso ♡ - at least you have something in front of you haha
My Favorite is WATER ♡
Other options: Fresh Pressed Juices
Remember: No Sodas, no Soft Drinks unless it's your cheat meal
And here are the 9 Tips that you can keep in mind!
1. MIX AND MATCH: Like the Salmon Filet but not the side that comes with it? Look through the rest of the menu and choose another side dish, that you can mix and match with your salmon filet. As long as it’s on the menu they have it available! So no problem to have special wishes & change your meal a bit.
So swap the french fries with baked potatoes & swap the cole slaw with a mixed salad.
2. GET A HEALTHY STARTER: That’s when you’re most hungryyyy so try to fill your belly with something healthy first. Especially if you want to lose weight!
3. FRIED VS. DEEP-FRIED: Fried or Deep Fried? Big difference. Fried means they fry the food in a pan with a little oil. Deep-fried means they threw the food in a hot bath of oil, which instantly adds hundreds and hundreds of unhealthy calories. So that’s a no-go.
If you're unsure you can always go with baked, grilled or steamed!
4. CUNCHY & CRISPY: Stay away form meals with those words. With crunchy and crispy you definitely have to make sure what they mean with those words! Things generally get crunchy if they are deep-fried. So crispy, deep-fried chicken sticks are unfortunately not a healthy choice!
5. MISSING PROTEIN?: Found the perfect meal but the protein is missing? You may have to pay a little extra fee but you can always ask them to bring some chicken (or tofu) on top! That’s actually my favorite thing to ask for haha.
6. SPLIT YOUR MEALS: I often split. Starters are usually waaaay to big and I still want to be able to finish my main course! Sharing is caring.
7. THE "ALLERGY" EXCUSE: If you know that the waiters at a restaurant are not suuuper nice & usually pretend that extra wishes are not possible: just say you have an allergy. Always works.
„Oh I would love to get this salad but I kind of have a weird reaction whenever I eat bacon. Can we just swap it with something else? Mozzarella maybe?“
8. DRESSING ON THE SIDE: I don’t understand why but some restaurants tend to make a soup out of salad leaves & dressing. Just get your dressing on the side and add it yourself!! And if you’re not sure about the ingredients of the dressing just go ahead and order oil & vinegar.
9. YOU DON'T HAVE TO FINISH YOUR MEAL: If you’re full - don’t be afraid to leave something on your plate. This of course depends on your culture but generally it’s not a must to finish your meal! If you have a bad conscience you can also ask them to take it home.
What do you order when you're at a restaurant? Comment below! xx