1) GIVE YOURSELF SOME TIME – changing the way of eating is hard & maybe you’re not even sure if you want to stick with „eating clean“? That’s why I recommend setting goals like „30 days“. That doesn’t sound like forever and makes it easier to stick with it – you can even set a countdown in your phone! If you don’t like clean eating AT ALL after those 30 days feel free to go back to artificial & processed food. But you will probably feel extremely good & energetic after those days and your body will have made some amazing changes. Just try it!! PS: 10 days can work as a start.
2) WRITE SHOPPING LISTS – if you stroll around the supermarket without a plan you will probably end up buying things you don’t actually need. Only put food that fits your lifestyle on your shopping list. And think about it, if there are no soft drinks, gummy bears & pizza in your fridge you won’t be able to eat them – right?
3) LEARN TO COOK FOR YOURSELF – take control! Or do you want to leave it up to someone else to feed you? I wouldn’t want that. It may be time consuming but I 80% of the time I cook for myself. It just feels so good to KNOW what ingredients are in my meal and that I can be 100% sure that I’m only putting good stuff in your body. If I go out to eat somewhere I usually go to Vapiano, Dean&David, Asians, Sushi or to some „healthy“ Burger restaurants that serve burgers with wholegrain bread & high quality meat. Oh and lots of restaurant have beef filets with potatoes and veggies on their menu – that’s definitely what I’ll order!
4) SWEETS – bake your own ones! I will post some recipes soon but there are soo many delicious things you can do! Cakes out of bananas coconut, almond or spelt flour, cocoa powder, etc.!
But are you looking for a healthy but QUICK solution? Dark chocolate (I have like 4 bars of 85% chocolate in my fridge haha) & peanut butter are my faves.
5) VEGGIES ARE NOT ALWAYS YUMMY – buy delicious ones. Vegetables are super important but depending on quality & origin the taste can variate extremely. I’ve eaten so many disgusting tomatoes & apples in my life haha. Some taste like nothing, some are mealy. Find a shop that sells veggies that are fresh & yummy! This will make the journey so much more enjoyable.
6) HAVE A LOOK AT THE LIST OF INGREDIENTS – if you can’t pronounce or don’t know the ingredients, consider not buying it! The food industry puts **** into our food just to make it taste „better“ while still making it cheap in production. For example „Natural orange juices“ still have added sugar in them! Have a look at the back of the package and care about what you put in your body.
7) LOVE CARBS – rice, quinoa, whole grain pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes – everything allowed! If you want to lose weight adjust the portions, but don’t cut them out completely. They are the source of our energyyy. Only avoid eating white bread, white pasta, potato fries, donuts, food with added sugar and so on.
8) DRINK WATER – I love the taste of water. That sounds so weird haha. But in my opinion water by different water companies taste sooo different. Find one that you like! I personally really like Black Forest (it’s German), Aqua Panna, Evian & Volvic. If water tastes too boring for you feel free to experiment! Mix it with fresh juices, flavor it with lemons, mint leaves, oranges or strawberries. Herbal Teas are also great!
9) GET EXCITED ABOUT IT – maybe ask a friend or your parents to join your journey. Cook together, experiment together & eat together. Team work is always more fun!
and finally …
10) DON’T BE TOO STRICT WITH YOURSELF – moderation is key. You have to be able to stick to your diet and if you’re 100000% strict you will probably end up being disappointed because you were not able to keep up. If you’re not used to eating healthy & clean start slowwwwly. One clean meal a day. Get stricter over time and learn to love your new source of energy!
I eat very clean but I still don’t forbid myself to eat dark chocolate or chocolate muesli.
Do you have some more tips? Would love to hear them! xx