Stretch Marks and Cellulite are something over 90% of us women have. Of course we wan’t to get rid of it! But first I feel like it’s really important to understand what stretch marks & cellulite are. You’ll see that afterwards it will be super easy to understand why we get them & what we can do about it ♥︎
So think of a rubber band. If you stretch this band really intensely & quickly it will either break or it will at least get some cracks. The same happens with your skin. If the tissues of your skin get stretched beyond their flexibility, the collagen in it will get damaged, which leaves little scars all over your skin. Cellulite may seem similar but is something completely different. Our skin has areas where fat deposits lie underneath. If those fat deposits get too big or the tissue of your skin too weak, the fat areas will push through the collagen fibers, making our skin look like cottage cheese.
Okay, so basically the reasons for stretch marks could be gaining weight in a short period of time, growing really quickly (e.g. in puberty) or overall weak tissues & inflexible skin. Cellulite is also caused by excess fat & weak tissues, further by a lack of hormones & poor blood circulation.
TIPS TO PREVENT STRETCH MARKS & CELLULITE:
- DRINKING LOTS OF WATER – this will keep your tissues strong & flexible, which makes them less likely to break
- USING OILS & CREMES – I RELIGIOUSLY massage my butt and thighs twice a day with coconut oil or shea butter. There is no guarantee but I feel like this really helps to deeply moisturize the skin and make it more flexible. Pregnant women also massage their bellies with oil, so it has to make sense, right? Body scrubs are also awesome.
- EATING HEALTHY – as I’ve told you quick weight gain and excess fat are some major reasons for your skin to break. If you eat healthy you will not gain sooooo much weight in a short period of time & you will less likely get cellulite or stretch marks
- WORKING OUT – ha I told you, exercising is good for everrrrrrything! Exercising will not only firm & tone your muscles, which makes your body & skin look more tight, but working out also increases blood circulation, which helps your skin & tissues stay strong.
- NO SMOKING – cigarette smoke reduces the blood circulation, which weakens the collagen & therefore your tissues. That’s why smokers tend to get wrinkles, cellulite & skin discolorations more easily.
- CONTRAST SHOWERS – they stimulate your blood circulation & metabolism
DO STRETCH MARKS & CELLULITE STAY FOREVER?
Stretch marks will – as well as scars in general – fade over time & if they are just tiny ones they can become invisible. Cellulite can also get better over time if you stick to the rules above.
CAN YOU GET STRETCH MARKS FROM WEIGHT TRAINING?
Yes and no. Generally no, because working out will only do good (in terms of blood circulation, strengthening the body, making it look more firm, etc.). Some bodybuilders take supplements or hormones that will make their muscles grow extremely quickly & sometimes the skin isn’t flexible enough and breaks. But seriously, muscles normally take a loooot of time to grow and the skin has more than enough time to grow with it.
DO YOU HAVE STRETCH MARKS OR CELLULITE?
Yes, I do have some little stretch marks at the side of my butt. When I first noticed them a couple of years ago I was freaking out haha. I know that it’s generally nothing bad but I didn’t expect my 16 year old body to have stretch marks. Since then I massage those areas twice a day with oil and haven’t gotten any more stretch marks until today (yeeey). And no, I don’t have any cellulite yet.
IS IT TRUE THAT CELLULITE “RUNS IN THE FAMILY”?
Partly true. Genetics is a small part of everything. But you won’t know until you get it – so try to prevent it beforehand!
WHY DO SKINNY PEOPLE OFTEN HAVE LESS CELLULITE & STRETCH MARKS?
Some skinny people also have it, so that doesn’t refer to everybody. But the more fat you have underneath your skin, the more tension and stress exists on your tissues, the more likely they are to break or bulge out.
IS CARDIO OR WEIGHT TRAINING BETTER TO REDUCE CELLULITE?
Cardio can of course keep the weight & body fat off, which will help to prevent cellulite. But in order to make your body look more firm & make your skin look smoother you need to strengthen it!
Leave me a comment if you’ve know some awesome tips on how to prevent cellulite or how to get rid of it! I would love to hear them! xx