Hello everyooooone ♡ Today I’m gonna talk about a topic that I’ve already started posting on Insta Stories! I shared some crazy information & insights on hair, its health and styling products to use that don’t damage the hair. You guys went CRAZY 'cause you wanted to know more haha. I’m not an expert but since ghd is one of my long term partners I’m happy to share the scientifically proofed information that they gave me :) and of course I guess I also take good care of my hair (it’s long and healthy lol).
I'll tell you more about STYLING it in a healthy way. My go-to look is (obviously) my wavy hairstyle that I wear on almost every picture. I’m not much into variety haha. I achieve this look by actually using a straightening iron. I don’t even own a curling iron :D
To start off: MY TIPS FOR HEALTHY HAIR STYLING:
1) Be EXTRA gentle to your wet hair. Your wet hair is not as strong which makes it break very easily! Ever noticed that you’re losing a lot of hair if you brush it after washing? Well that’s not only because you would have lost it anyways, but maybe also because you were not gentle enough. Your hair is only the strongest if it is 100% dry.
2) Use a good conditioner. I recommend using an organic one without silicons & parabens. It should be nourishing and healthy :) But either way, if you’re conditioner is good, you will be able to brush your hair more easily -> minimize hair loss.
3) Start blow drying your hair on medium heat & increase the heat over time. Don’t start with high heat right away!
4) Feel your hair while blow drying. You’ll notice that it will stay „cool“ for quite some time and suddenly it heatens ups very quickly (and it will eventually be too hot to touch). Don’t let it get to that stage! Move on to the next section whenever you notice that your hair gets hot - you’re starting to kill the moisture in your hair and not only the water from your shower!
5) Hair must be 100% dry when you start using a styler. Otherwise you’ll damage and burn it.
6) If you want to use heat protector -> use it BEFORE you blow-dry, otherwise your hair will be wet again and you will damage it while using a hot styler.
7) Never style over 185°C - if you have a styler with variable heat options -> never go over 185°C!! If you use ghd, you will be safe anyways :) you really don’t need crazy high temperatures to achieve great results with styling. So don’t risk the health of your hair!
8) Don’t wash your hair toooo often. Those tips help in making your Styling Session as healthy for your hair as possible - but if you wash & style it too often it will dry out your hair ..
You were maybe wondering - why 185°C?
Scientists discovered that 185°C is optimal to style your hair. It gives you a perfect result within only one streak AND it is also the healthiest temperature. Your hair changes it shape temporarily, but you don’t destroy the actual structure of your hair. That’s also why you cannot change the temperature yourself - lower wouldn’t straighten/curl your hair - higher would be bad for its health.
They also said that 185°C REDUCES hair breakage. Why? They said 185 degrees don’t damage the hair & styled hair is smoother. Its easier to comb through etc. (not tangled up). So you don’t break or lose as much hair after having styled it until you wash again.
Normal Stylers sometimes go up to 230°C. This damages your hair so much. It basically „melts“. The keratin fibers disappear completely!! Just look at the picture above and see what happens if you would hold it onto your hair for 20s. Of course nobody does that but going over and over your hair every day for a long period of time basically has the same effect. And you know what? It would actually forbidden to sell that if hair was considered a „living part“ of the body. But since hair is „dead“ they don’t make any restrictions.
How I know about all this?
Well a couple of weeks ago ghd invited me to join them on a trip to London to celebrate their launch of the new ghd GOLD Styler and to visit their research centre to learn why they do what they do.
Fun Fact: for as long as I can remember I have used ghd stlyers. Not because they sponsored me back then (I wish haha) but because my mom always bought them. I didn’t even question that fact, I just trusted that she knew what’s best. My mom also has very long and thick hair & doesn’t leave the house without blowdrying and styling it. By the way - thanks for the genes mom! And last year I started working with ghd.. so that is what I call a perfect partnership!
FYI: the gold styler is their most popular styler - they also have other models. And they sell over 2 MILLION stylers every year - so basically 1 every 4 seconds. The left one is good for beginners or young people (199€), the mini styler for short hair & bangs, the max styler for thick hair . The gold styler has advanced technology and is therefore „better“ for your hair (also 199€). It is recommended if you’re a person that uses it often, but not necessarily every day. The Platinum Styler (249€, most expensive one) has the best technology and is perfect if you use the straightener aka. styler eveeeeery day or you just want to spend the money for the technology.
Just think of it like cars. There are the first ones that most get after getting their license, there are mid class cars that the majority drives (gold styler) and there are Lamborghinis or Ferraris (platinum styler). Haha what a comparison.
The new ghd gold styler now has an upgraded technology, works with the dual zone technology (gonna explain it) & therefore makes sure that your hair is gonna stay healthy! It also heats up way faster, only takes 25s aaaand has a universal voltage (perfect for people that are traveling back and forth different continents).
„Dual Zone Technology“ - This basically means that the temperature on the styler is constant all the time. If you put a lot of „cold“ hair inside the temperature would drop and a normal styler would need a lot of time to balance the temperature out again. Till then you might already put in a small piece of hair which then would get burned. And since the dual zone technology has 2 sensors (one on each plate - which measure the temperature of each entire plate) it is very quick & precise which keeps the temperature of 185 degrees constant. A normal styler has only 1 sensor and the plates are often hotter in the middle and cooler towards the outside. The ghd plate has a constant temperature on the whole plate. This is not only healthier but also better for the result of your styling session :)
And to finish off, my favorite part haha. HOW LONG THEY FREAKING LAST. They do so much quality testing to ensure the stylers will last for years! Have a look at your messages, it’s crazy.
Respect to everybody who made it to this point here haha. Hope you learned something!!